The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which is intended to be transformational for all, deepening Australia’s relationships in the region, as well as ensuring a more regionally-aware Australian workforce for the future.
Over time, the Australian Government wants to see study in the region become a rite of passage for Australian students, and an endeavour that is highly valued across the Australian community.
- The New Colombo Plan includes a scholarships program for study of up to one year and internships or mentorships, and a flexible mobility grants program for short and long-term study, internships, mentorships, clinical placements, practicums and research.
- The program is open to Australian undergraduates aged 18 to 28 studying at Australian universities, with capacity to include some students over 28 in the mobility program.
- Internships and mentorships are integral to the New Colombo Plan. In addition to contributing to the students’ academic qualifications, they offer students the chance to test their skills, gain insight into an organisation and build professional networks. Companies in the Philippines can get in touch with the Australian Embassy to discuss opportunities to host New Colombo Plan interns.
- Arrangements for study, internships and mentorships are made by universities, their students and host institutions and organisations to suit the needs of all parties.
- A New Colombo Plan internship network has been established to further support collaboration between universities, students and private-sector organisations in Australia and the region.
- An alumni network will ensure connections made through the New Colombo Plan are long-lasting and provide ongoing opportunities for New Colombo Plan alumni to engage with the region.
NCP internships and mentorships
The Australian Government’s signature initiative, the New Colombo Plan, is boosting the number of Australian undergraduate students who study and work in the Indo-Pacific. By the end of 2016, around 10,000 Australian students will have been supported to live, study and work in the region under the New Colombo Plan, and these numbers will continue to grow.
The Australian Government is encouraging businesses and other organisations to become a part of the New Colombo Plan. By offering internships and mentorships overseas, your organisation will help develop graduates with the skills and experience needed to do business internationally, and join the future of Australia’s engagement with our neighbours.
By offering internships and mentorships, organisations benefit by:
- harnessing the skills of talented young Australians
- accessing graduates who may be valuable future employees, volunteers and supporters
- building awareness of the organisation’s objectives, challenges and work environment
- developing a workforce with the experience needed to work with the Indo-Pacific, and
- joining the future of Australia’s engagement with our neighbours.
Organisations can register their interest online by visiting the NCP Internship and Mentors