Australian Embassy
The Philippines

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)


If you require consular assistance please email your enquiry to [email protected].

The Consular Section is open from 9:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday except for public holidays.

For after-hours emergencies please call +63 2 7757 8100 and follow the prompts to transfer (toll free) to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra or call direct on +61 2 6261 3305.


Visas and Citizenship Enquiries

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI), Affidavits in lieu of CNI, and Other Options:

The Philippine government has advised through a memorandum that it will accept an affidavit signed in front of a Notary Public licenced in the Philippines. The Australian Embassy does not notarise marriage affidavits. Affidavits generally cost PHP500 (or less, depending on your area). CNI fees may change on a monthly basis. Please contact the Local Civil Registry where you intend to get married, or visit the PSA website for more information. You may also wish to consult with an attorney.

If you are an Australian citizen wishing to marry overseas, the foreign government may request you to secure a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI).  This is known locally as a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. 

Confirm that a CNI is required by Philippine authorities, as other evidence that you are free to marry may be sufficient. Ask if you can use a 'Single Status Certificate' or a 'No Record Result Certificate' instead of a CNI. You can get these from your state or territory births, deaths and marriages registry.  NSW, QLD, VIC, SA, TAS, ACT, WA, NT

CNIs may also be issued in Australia. Ask Philippine authorities if a CNI issued in Australia will be acceptable and have it issued before you leave Australia.

For the memorandum and suggested wording of the affidavit, please click on the links below.


Affidavit Template

Should you wish to go ahead with your CNI application issued by the Australian Embassy, information is provided below:

Validity of CNIs:

  • You are encouraged to discuss with the marrying authority (i.e. courts; religious institutions; city/municipal offices) in your area and note the requirements in order to get married. The Philippine Government normally does not accept a CNI issued more than 6 months prior to the date of marriage.
  • The Australian Embassy cannot advise on the Philippines' specific requirements for Australians to get married in the country. You are encouraged to discuss with the marrying authority in your area.

 Payment for CNIs:

  • Consular fees - Commencing 1 January 2019, the Australian Embassy in Manila is no longer able to accept cash payment for its Notarial and Passports services.  Please ensure you bring a MasterCard or Visa card (including Visa/Mastercard Debit) or a manager’s cheque made payable to ''Australian Embassy Official'' for payment.  We do not accept personal cheques.  Payments can be made in Philippine pesos or Australian Dollars.


Please note that you must bring your completed and printed out CNI form to your appointment, otherwise, you will have to rebook your appointment to a later date.

Australian citizens may lodge a completed Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) application form with the Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in the Philippines in person (by appointment). Please note that this is a payable service.

(CNI will be issued on the same day the application was lodged)

Book an appointment with The Australian Embassy in the Philippines using SetMore

  1. Book an appointment. No appointment, no service. Service will also not be rendered if you do not bring your completed and printed out CNI form.

  2. Completed CNI application form. Please note you must bring your completed and printed out CNI form to your appointment. Otherwise, you will have to rebook your appointment to a later date.

a.      The applicant must sign the form in front of an authorised witness (indicated on the third page of the application form). The list of authorised witnesses is included on the form. A Consular Officer at the Australian Embassy can also witness your signature.

b.      If both parties/partners are Australian citizens, they must lodge separate applications, requirements, and fees.

        3. The applicant's original Australian Passport.

        4. If the Australian passport is not available, the applicant's original Australian birth certificate and a valid ID with photo, name and signature.

        5. Proof of termination of previous marriage (certified/notarised copy of divorce papers, death certificate or annulment papers) of both the  applicant and partner.

        6. Valid ID of the intended spouse or a certified/notarised copy of a valid ID of the intended spouse.

Note: Incomplete documents will result to delays and/or non-issuance of CNIs. Make sure you have completed the CNI application form and have secured the original or notarized/certified copies of requirements with you prior to making an appointment.

Further Information on CNIs:  


If you have been divorced overseas, you should contact your solicitor before leaving Australia to confirm that your divorce is recognised under Australian law. Your marriage in the Philippines will not be recognised in Australia unless your divorce is recognised under Australian law.


Foreign divorce decrees are not automatically recognized in the Philippines. Australian nationals who were previously married in the Philippines and are intending to remarry in the Philippines after obtaining a divorce in Australia should check with National Statistics Office/Philippine Statistics Authority in the Philippines to confirm their divorce decree has been acknowledged by the local government.


Australian residents who are not Australian citizens must apply for a CNI from their country's embassy or consulate in the Philippines.


A marriage licence is issued by the Philippine authorities and either you or your intended spouse (or both) must apply for this at the local civil registrar (City Hall) in the town or district where your intended spouse normally lives. In accordance with Philippine law, it is necessary to wait ten days from the date of application before a licence can be issued. Evidence of your identity and divorce/death of a previous spouse (if applicable) is usually required by the Philippine authorities. 



The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) uses third-party software (Setmore) to manage the Australian Embassy's appointments. Your personal information (including your name and contact details) will be collected by DFAT via Setmore to book your appointment and for related purposes. By proceeding with this booking, you are consenting to the collection of this information by Setmore on DFAT’s behalf for these purposes. If this information is not collected, DFAT’s ability to arrange your appointment will be limited. Your personal information will be handled by Setmore in accordance with Setmore’s Privacy Policy, and by DFAT in accordance with DFAT’s Privacy Policy.


Consular Section Contact Details

Consular Section
Australian Embassy
Level 23  Tower 2, RCBC Plaza 6819 Ayala Avenue
Makati City 1200, Metro Manila, The Philippines

Telephone: +63 2 7757 8100
Facsimile: +63 2 7757 8344

Email: [email protected]

List of Embassy Holidays