SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR FILIPINOS
The Australian Government Aid Program is offering 40 Australian Development Scholarships (ADS) for Masters and Doctorate degree programs at Australian higher education institutions for study commencing in June 2011. Applicants from government and non-government sectors are encouraged to apply between 10 January – 07 February 2011. Deadline for submission of all applications is at 5:00 PM (Manila Time) on 07 February 2011.
Programs of study must relate to the following fields: Basic Education; Social Protection/Welfare; Peace and Development; Public Financial Management; Disaster Risk Reduction and Management; Climate Change Adaptation; Organisational Development/Human Resource Management and Development; Trade; Foreign Relations; Pandemics (Preparedness and Management).
Scholarship entitlements include pre-departure support, visa expenses, full tuition fees, roundtrip airfare, establishment allowance, cost of living expenses, introductory academic program, overseas student health cover, tutorial assistance if required, and fieldwork support for research students.
Successful applicants are required to return to the Philippines for at least two years after completion of the scholarship and contribute to the development of the country.
All candidates shall be subject to the ADS general eligibility requirements and Philippines-specific criteria and selection process. Below are application requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree (original transcript of record, certificate of completion, and at least GPA of 2.0 or equivalent)
- Valid IELTS/TOEFL results
- Curriculum vitae
- NBI clearance (no derogatory record) and certificate of no pending case from employer, if currently employed
- Certificate of no pending scholarship obligation from employer, if currently employed
- A 2-page concept paper outlining how the skills acquired in Australia will be used to contribute to development in the Philippines
- For Doctoral applicants, an unconditional offer letter from an Australian university and copy of thesis proposal
Visit the following sites for further information:
- www.pahrodf.org.ph on how to apply, detailed mandatory requirements and application forms
- http://www.ausaid.gov.au/scholar/studyin.cfm for general information on ADS
- http://www.philippines.idp.com/student_services/examination_services/ielts.aspx for IELTS exams
- http://askedu.net/training.asp?Course=TOEFL&Location=Philippines for TOEFL exams
- http://cricos.deewr.gov.au/?Redirect=Y for the list of participating Australian education institutions
The ADS is a bilateral scholarship program of the Australian Government. It aims to contribute to the long term development needs of the Philippines and to promote knowledge, education links and enduring ties between Australia and the Philippines. It provides opportunities to Filipinos to undertake fulltime postgraduate study in Australia. Since 1997, over 1200 Filipinos have been granted ADS scholarships.
Successful applicants will be contacted for interview in February 2011 (tentative schedule of interview is 21 February 2011).